Archaeologists Discover Water Tunnel Under Ancient Mayan Site of Palenque in Mexico
Mark Stevenson / AP,Time 6 hours ago
Mark Stevenson / AP,Time 6 hours ago
Washington Post 2 hours 59 minutes ago
Jeff Wise,Popular Mechanics 20 hours ago
7 Hours AgoReuters
A knife-wielding man stabbed and killed 19 people as they slept at a facility for the disabled in a town near Tokyo early on Tuesday, a senior government official said, Japan‘s worst mass killing in decades.
At least 25 other residents of the facility were wounded in the attack.
“This is a very heart-wrenching and shocking incident in which many innocent people became victims,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a scheduled news conference in Tokyo.
Police have arrested Satoshi Uematsu, 26, a former employee at the facility in Sagamihara town in Kanagawa Prefecture, about 25 miles (40 km) southwest of Tokyo, a Kanagawa official said. At least one media report said Uematsu had called for euthanasia of the severely disabled.
Uematsu had turned himself in, the Kanagawa prefecture official, identified only by his surname of Sakuma, told an earlier news conference carried on public broadcaster NHK.
Another 25 people were wounded, 20 of them seriously, Sakuma said.
Kyodo news agency said the dead ranged in age from 19 to 70 and included nine males and 10 females. Earlier media reports had said as many as 45 people had been wounded.
Staff called police at 2.30 a.m. local time (1730 GMT Monday) with reports of a man armed with a knife on the grounds of the Tsukui Yamayuri-En facility, media reported. The man wore a black T-shirt and trousers, reports said.
The 3-hectare (7.6 acre) facility, established by the local government and nestled on the wooded bank of the Sagami River, cares for people with a wide range of disabilities, NHK said, quoting an unidentified employee.
Residents of the small town of Sagamihara said the last murder in the area was 10 years ago.
A woman who said she used to work at the facility said many patients were profoundly disabled.
“They are truly innocent people. What did they do? This is shocking,” she told Japanese television station TBS.
Bag of knives
Police had recovered a bag with several knives, at least one stained with blood, the Kanagawa prefecture official said.
Police said they were still investigating possible motives.
Asahi Shimbun reported that the suspect was quoted by police as saying: “I want to get rid of the disabled from this world.” Other reports said he had held a grudge after being fired from his job at the facility.
Broadcaster NTV reported that the arrested man presented a letter to the speaker of the lower house of Japan’s parliament in February calling for euthanasia of disabled people.
“My goal is a world in which, in cases where it is difficult for the severely disabled to live at home and be socially active, they can be euthanized with the consent of their guardians,” it quoted the letter as saying.
At least 29 emergency squads responded to the attack, Kyodo reported, with those wounded taken to at least six hospitals in the western Tokyo area.
NHK reported that the facility is usually locked at night but the suspect broke into the building by smashing a window.
The facility’s website said the center had a maximum capacity of 160 people, including staff.
Such mass killings are extremely rare in Japan and typically involve stabbings. Japan has strict gun laws and possession of firearms by the public is rare.
Eight children were stabbed to death at their school in Osaka by a former janitor in 2001. Seven people died in 2008 when a man drove a truck into a crowd and began stabbing people in Tokyo’s popular electronics and “anime” district of Akihabara.
A revision to Japan’s Swords and Firearms Control Law was introduced in 2009 in the wake of that attack, banning the possession of double-edged knives and further tightening gun-ownership rules.
Members of a doomsday cult killed 12 people and made thousands ill in 1995 in simultaneous attacks with sarin nerve gas on five Tokyo rush-hour subway trains.
French President Francois Hollande said today’s attack and hostage situation at a church in Normandy was carried out by “terrorists who claimed allegiance to ISIS.”
Hollande said he spoke to the family of a priest who was killed in the attack as well as one of the hostages. The French president is slated to meet with the Archbishop of Normandy and representatives from all faiths later today.
Two armed men entered the church shortly before 10 a.m. local time, during morning mass, and took five people hostage at the church in a suburb of Rouen — located roughly 80 miles northwest of Paris. A nun and a parishioner were among the hostages, and one person was seriously injured, according to the Ministry of the Interior.
Police ultimately killed the two hostage takers, officials said.
The motive is not yet known, but the Paris persecutor’s office has opened up a terrorisminvestigation following the attack.
An official said police were called after someone from inside the church alerted authorities.
Police are on site and the neighborhood is on lockdown.
The church had not received specific threats, according to officials.
The Vatican called the situation an act of “absurd violence” and said that the pope strongly condemned “every form of hate” and “prayed” for the victims affected.
ABC News’ Louise Dewast, Kirit Radia and Hugo Leenhardt contributed to this report.
This story is developing, pleases check back for updates.